What is each Enneagram type generally trying to achieve in the workplace? Here we give a quick overview of each type's goals!
Power: Eights aim to have control & influence.
- Want to own “their domain”; gives them clarity and efficiency
- Like being asked to weigh-in on decisions and be seen as a leader
- Can be sucked into dominance struggles if they feel threatened
Cohesion: Nines aim to create peace among coworkers.
- Able to understand differing communication styles, concerns, & values
- May give unbiased overviews or ask questions to align perspectives
- Might struggle for stand up for their own beliefs and ideas
Quality: Ones aim for quality in order to feel good & have an impact.
- Often go the extra mile to please themselves and others
- Tend to produce high-quality deliverables no matter the task
- Can lean too far towards perfectionism at the expense of other output
Reciprocity: Twos aim to create mutually beneficial relationships.
- Enables them to add value and influence decision-making
- Love when people treat each other with kindness and respect
- May do things for others so people feel obliged to return the favor
Recognition: Threes aim to be acknowledged to boost their self-esteem.
- Want to be recognized for their intelligence, achievements, and value
- Look to stand out by being the ebst at what they do
- Can become envious of coworkers outperforming or outearning them
Identity: Fours aim to discover who they are and share it with others.
- On a never-ending mission to find meaning in and out of work
- Don't need their jobs to 100% define them, but do want to feel aligned
- Can become frustrated and quit jobs if they aren't fulfilling
Mastery: Fives aim to be experts in their domain.
- Not satisfied merely being good or competent; look to achieve mastery
- The more they learn, the more they humbly realize they don't know
- May obsess about having the time and resources to get things perfect
Predictability: Sixes aim to know what's expected of them.
- Want to know what's coming, so they can prepare and deliver results
- Love orgnized plans, clear goals, agendas in advance, and routines
- May have unreasonable expectations around having certainty
Stimulation: Sevens aim to keep their minds engaged.
- Desire for fast pace, complexity, evolving missions, and excitement
- Tend to thrive in high-pressure situations because they embrace chaos
- May be impatient, or downplay setbacks that need to be addressed